Thursday, May 3, 2012

High Protein Granola Bars

I make these bars for my children to take to school in their lunches. There are many variations you can try.. my favorite is with chocolate chips and raisins but would you believe that NONE of my children like raisins. So sad!

High Protein Granola Bars

6 cups thick or old fashioned oats
3 cups milk ( or 2 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup kefir)
1/2 - 1 cup honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup whey vanilla protein powder (plain may be used too)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1. The night before soak the oats in the milk/kefir mixture. If you do not have kefir, use a total of 3 cups of milk and add 2 tbsp of yogurt to the milk.

2. The next day, combine all the ingredients. If you want to withhold the chocolate chips and use them as an "icing". My children like them better with a thin layer of chocolate on top rather than chocolate chips inside.

3. Spread in a stoneware bar pan or cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden and set. If desired sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot bars. When the chip are melted spread over the bars. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into bars. Store individually wrapped in the refrigerator. They last around 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for the recipe. I have been trying to find something like this. I wonder if I can use hemp instead of the oats to make them more Phase 3 friendly. I will have to experiment. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete