Monday, March 5, 2012

Kefir Green Smoothie -- Phase 3

I'm still loving my green smoothies. This is how I make them now that I am in phase 3. I can hardly wait until my garden is producing the spinach, kale, chard, and beet greens so I can pick them fresh and use them in my smoothies daily.

Kefir Green Smoothie

1 - 1 1/2 cups whole milk kefir
5 ounces of greens (spinach, kale, chard, beet greens a single green or any combination you feel like)
1 cup for frozen berries (strawberry or blueberry are my two favorites, I usually only use one type of fruit)
1/2 - 1 full serving of protein powder (vanilla or chocolate, it is amazing but the chocolate adds a beautiful richness to the shake)
cinnamon to taste
stevia to taste
1/2 - 1 cup water if needed to get it to the liquid state you enjoy. I like mine thick so I don't add much water if I use 1 1/2 cups of kefir
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp FRESHLY ground flax meal (use a coffee grinder to grind it fresh)

Put all ingredients (except the coconut oil) into a good blender and blend until smooth. While the blender is on slowly pour in your 1-2 tbsp of melted coconut oil.

This smoothie will fill you up... like FULL and is very nutrient dense!


OPTIONAL additions:
1.  If you don't want to use the protein powder, or if you want to have even more protein in your smoothie, you can add 1-2 farm fresh eggs to the smoothie.
2. If you have a vitamin B deficiency you can also add Nutritional Yeast to this smoothie.
3. If you have a good quality super green or super red powder mix, add it to your smoothie for another nutrient boost. I personally LOVE "Erin's Super Green Drink Mix" it is pricy but is fabulous in this smoothie, I use a heaping tablespoon of this mix in every smoothie.

http://www.homesteaddryingracks.com/herbs.html
4. This is a great smoothie to add kelp to. You can buy powdered kelp in bulk, start by adding 1 tsp a day and work your way up to 1 tbsp.
5. Any spices or herbs that you enjoy can be added to enhance the flavor or just to change it up daily. I enjoy cinnamon, some like fresh or dried ginger, nutmeg, even cayenne can be added if you like it hot. If you have heart problems cayenne and fresh minced garlic are wonderful additions... if you can take the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment