Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sweeteners for all phases

I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners like aspartame and Splenda. If you wonder why just do a google search for dangers of using these products and you will most likely choose to never include them in your diet for life. Here is one article to get you started:

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/sugar-free-blues

Stevia is my sweetener of choice. I really like the Sweetleaf brand. It has many flavors and can be purchased from amazon, vitacost, and other places for a reasonable price. My favorite flavors are Vanilla Cream, Cinnamon, and English Toffee. I have also tried the chocolate and chocolate Raspberry they are good too. I plan to make my own flavored soda with seltzer water and the Valencia Orange or Root Beer Stevia's from Sweetleaf. I use powdered stevia from Country Life Natural Foods when I want a plain stevia.

I have tried xylitol and am concerned that it too may turn out to be a nasty "natural" sweetener. I don't think the health food society has really decided if it is good or bad. Here is an article about xylitol and agave:

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/agave-nectar-of-gods


I have found that if I have too much xylitol in a day it does a number on my bowels. I use it in some of my phase 3 sweet treats, but don't eat it daily.

Many people are pushing Agave nectar as the new healthy sweetener. I will not use it in my house. Here is an article you can start your research of agave with:

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/agave-nectar-worse-than-we-thought

In phase 4 I hope to be able to incorporate real maple syrup and raw honey. Both of which we harvest here on the farm. During round 1 I was able to have a little each day without any effect on my weight. Round 2 did not allow me to have any at all without a gain. Hopefully Round 3 will end with me being able to enjoy using natural sweeteners in small amounts.

You may have noticed that all these articles are from the Weston A. Price website. My nutritional journey began about 6 years ago when a friend of mine told me about the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. After reading it we started to clean up our diets of the store bought, processed, nutrient deficient but commonly accepted foods our society says is "healthy". If you have not ever read the book, it would be an excellent addition to your library. It is an educational tool as well as a cookbook. There is great info in it on everything from sweeteners, fat, grains, starches, and a proper food balance.

9 comments:

  1. The WAP foundation is excellent!

    I must recommend, if xylitol isn't playing nice with your stomach, that you look into Erythritol. It has less/no bowel effects and is quite mellow in terms of flavor. It is slightly less sweet per cup than sugar, but combination stevia/erythitol sweeteners like ZSweet get around that nicely.

    I am a big fan of the Sweet Leaf Stevie's as well. The Vitacost plain stevia glycerine turned out to be a little bitter, unfortunately, but the NuNaturals version is completely free of bitterness.

    I am trying to figure out what to do with all my old Splenda, I don't like how it makes me feel. Maybe I'll sneak it into baked goods for our youth groups' bake sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taryl, if you feel the need to use it up for bake sales, label the cookies as lower glycemic/diabetic friendly sweetened with Splenda. Most people out there don't care if it is poison. BUT if someone is sensitive to it they will know not to buy your cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley! I'm placing an order with VitaCost today and I cannot decide on the powdered Stevia. I couldn't find the brand you speak of, but I did find a Vitacost one with inulun fiber in it. Have you ever tried this? I'm afraid to try other things that may give me the trots, and fiber to me says....trots, LOL! But I'd like to try some baking this round. I seem to recall you using Erythritol in some of your recipes (I could be mistaken)...do you still use that and did it have negative effects on your plumbing? ;)
    Thanks!
    ~Chanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOPS, Shirley. I typed up a comment and I think I failed to type the captcha code in. Basically, it said that I cannot find the powdered brand on Vitacost that you use. I'm putting in an order today. Have you ever tried the powdered Stevia with fruitafit inulin fiber?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanda... I've not ever bought powdered stevia from Vitacost. I've heard that the stuff with the added fiber can cause bloating in some people. :-( I order my powdered Stevia from Country Life Natural Foods, they are in Michigan and they do ship. I am using xylitol still in my baking but in smaller and smaller quantities. The more I get used to stevia the less xylitol I use. It doesn't bother me as much while I'm in phase 3 but in phase 2... watch out!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, thanks! That's helpful to me. I think I'll spend the extra $3 and get the powdered Stevia that is only Stevia and nothing added. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shirley!
    What do you know about "Whey Low"? It looks like a great option for Phase 4! I'd love to hear what you think. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie, sorry for the delay in answering your ? about "whey low". I'll look into it an post my opinion here later. I've been off-line for the past couple months due to our move to ND.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie, do you have a direct link to the product you asked about? I'm only finding protein bars and other snack foods when I do a search for it.

    ReplyDelete