Friday, February 3, 2012

Coconut Manna

Ok... so I absolutely love this coconut manna, but it is a bit on the pricey side, especially since I can easily clean up a jar in a week. YUM! A friend told me about getting it in a 5# bag directly from the company so I checked it out.

https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-manna/

You can purchase a 5# bag of coconut manna for $31.99, that you will need to warm, mix and jar into your own pint jars. I would not recommend using jars any larger than pint so that you can easily warm it to use it. There is a video that will instruct you on how to do it on their website. The $savings$ is great! It ends up only costing $6.40 a pound rather than $7.45 - $9 per 15 oz from other places. The company also offers free shipping on all orders over $30.

If you order in the summer time chances are it will be warm enough to mix and jar right away. It may even be a good idea to order it in bulk in July and jar all you'll need for the year. Many people will order their coconut oil in 5# pails in July then jar it in pint and quart mason jars for easy use throughout the year. Coconut oil/cream products turn to solids which then are kept at temperatures below 73-74 degrees F. So in Wisconsin you have to order them in July or August if you want them to be liquid without you having to stick them in hot/warm water. :-)

So, order one jar or manna or pick one up at a local health food store, to make sure you enjoy it. If you do, you can then purchase it in bulk directly from the company so it is a more affordable way to get whole coconut food into your body. Plus.. I will probably experiment more with using it in baking and smoothies with it being a little cheaper. I think it would be fabulous in Cocoa Crack! This morning I wanted a light breakfast.. I usually start out with a heavy load of protein, but my tummy has not be handling all the fat and protein well so far during this Planned Interruption. I know that if I don't get fat into me... I won't function well, so I chose to have an apple dipped in coconut manna.... oh ya!!! I will never need nut butters again! YUM! :-)

Hope you are having some form of coconut oil today if you are in phase 3 or 4!

2 comments:

  1. You can also make your own with a good food processor! The unsweetened, fine shredded coconut seems to work best for me.....about two pound bag makes over a jar of the 16oz artisana and is about $4 that way.....you can add coconut oil, stevia or vanilla to it if you like too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I just throw the shredded coconut into the processor and let it whirl. Will some natural coconut oils come out of the coconut? I love the idea of adding more coconut oil to it b/c that is what I had planned to do to my 5# bag of coconut manna... add more CO to it. I just ordered 5# of shredded coconut for less than $4 a pound... looking forward to experimenting with it!

      Delete