Thursday, January 5, 2012

Apple Crunch Salad -- Phase 2

Do you EVER have a phase 2 day where you REALLY feel like crunching on SOMETHING. The ole' celery stick just isn't cutting it. Well this salad is one of my favorites for those days when I'm in the mood for a crisp fresh crunchy meal. The flavor combination might seem a little weird but it tastes FABULOUS!

Apple Crunch Salad

1 apple cored and diced
6 celery stalks diced
100 g chicken, preferably cooked, cooled, and diced into small pieces.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 TBSP Truvia or xylitol or stevia to taste
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP cold water
1 plain melba toast or plain grassini (no more than 20 calories worth)

1. Get a BIG bowl, this will not fit into a normal small cereal or salad bowl.
2. Place diced apple, celery, and chicken into the bowl and toss gently.
3. In a small bowl/dish mix the cinnamon, truvia, and lemon juice. Pour lemon mixture over the salad and toss gently.
4. Break up your melba/grassini over the salad, toss gently again.
ENJOY!

Variation: Replace the celery by a diced cucumber. It won't be AS crunchy but it is still VERY tasty.

Phase 3 Variation: Use a LOT more chicken, any part of the bird. Make a dressing out of 1/4 cup mayo, 2 TBSP truvia/xylitol, 1/2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar. Toss salad in the mayo dressing and enjoy. You must OMIT the melba/grassini for phase 3. Remember, no starch.

Phase 4 Variation: Do all the phase 3 additions including the dressing and add 1 tablespoon of raisins or dried cranberries. Still omit the melba/grassini if you choose to add the dried fruit.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!I am not a fan of celery but this was VERY good. (I did make some modifications, as 6 stalks of celery was WAY more than I could tolerate...I only put about 1.5 stalks. I am also not a fan of vinegar or lemon, so I did reduce the lemon as well. And since I reduced the amount of celery, I reduced the amount of "dressing" too.)

    Thank you for giving me so many new options in my P2 diet menu!

    (Now, you really do need some pictures of these foods or at least ONE on the header so that I can "Pin" these on Pinterest, in your 'spare' time, of course.) ;) Maybe I'll take pics of these next time I make them and post them on my neglected blog, with links to yours.

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete