Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You know you are a farmer when.....................

You know you are a farmer when..........................

There is a heifer calf taking a nap in your living room in front of the heater! :-)

We had a beautiful heifer calf born this morning, one of the coldest so far this winter in Wisconsin. She was very lethargic and freezing when we found her and her mom was off eating... never looked back even when we were carrying her through the field, even when we put the calf in FRONT of her in the milk parlor.

So, this little one will remain in here for another hour or so, then out to the garage or milk house to re-adjust to the cold for a day before we put her with the other calves. HOPEFULLY she will survive.

Her name is Natalie... her mom is Nelly. We try to name the calves with the first initial of the mom's name so we can keep track of family lines easier.. plus it is FUN! :-)

2 comments:

  1. My name is Stephanie. I am r1p2d43 (last injection today-yea!). Unfortunately, I did not find the google support group until a day or two ago. It certainly would have made this a lot easier. I have been reading your blog and I wanted to thank you for all of the wonder information and advice you have here. With your family life and farm life, I have no idea how you find the time. I noticed on your profile that you are in WI, as am I. I live near Kenosha, about 2 hours away. Good luck to you and your family with your current round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome!! A fellow cheese head! :-) Stephanie, this protocol is tough and Dr. Simeons really does not give much instruction on phase 3 & 4, so I hope you will find some help through the posts I've written recently about Geering up for Phase 3. If you come up against any struggles post here or feel free to contact me privately.

    ReplyDelete